Barony of Stormhold

Baronial Officers Meeting

Agenda

Coulsen Reserve, Stormhold. Monday, 28th August 2017 7:30pm

Chair:

Minute takers:

Attendees:

Apologies:

Agenda
Item #
Topic RESPONSIBILITY/

Action

1 Welcome to the meeting.

Meeting Commenced:

Time:
2

Previous Minutes for the meeting held on Monday, 24th July 2017

`. A. Motion – That the minutes for Monday, 24th July 2017 be accepted.

B. Business Arising from Previous Minutes:

  1. M:

S:

3

Correspondence:

Revised drafts: Suth Moot charter and Inter Baronial charter attached.

Also see Old Business:-

 

4

Old Business

Action points:

Business arising from July minutes: Done

***Action point:- Rodrigo to follow up with resident of C.F. re loaner armour- see correspondence

Email sent see See correspondence, No reply yet

***Action Point:- Rodrigo to Request Recommendation from Hanbal

gleaned from the survey results.

Email sent see See correspondence, No reply yet

***Action Point Rodrigo to Request Meeting sooner or an alternative to bash.

Ongoing discussions

***Action Point: Rodrigo to determine status of Storage with ex rapier marshal.

Email sent see See correspondence, reply received.

 
5 Quarterly reports attached where available.

Officers Reports

Arts and Sciences – Vacant

Capt. of Archers – Michael: attached

D. Seneschal -H & W Ysabel attached

Constable – Vacant

Herald – Wynflaed attached

Hospitaller – Ysabel attached

Lists – Thorfinn attached

Knight Marshal – Nicophorus attached

Reeve –Tomas

Community Solutions Account

Current: $3643.71Westpac Business Cash Reserve Bonus Current: $11127.45Rapier– Vacant –

Webminister – Mahoult deputy report attached

Seneschal – Rodrigo attached

B and B – Brian and Miriam

Pending Officer Changeovers – Lists Seneschal
Officer Vacancies: Arts and Sciences, Constable, Rapier Marshal.

 
6

Groups

Barony :

86 current members, 26 minors, and 180 expired or pending members.

Hamlet Lac D’Or: No member info yet
Social planned for Sunday 17th of September 2017.

Heraldic Consultation in train.

College of St Cecilia – Hugh:

There are 1 current members, 0 minors, and 0 expired or pending members.

College of St Bartholomew:

There are 0 current members, 0 minors, and 16 expired or pending members.


We might consider having a past member drive….?

 

 
7 Events

 

Past Events-Wrapup

Bash 6th august – Cancelled due to weather – Steward – B&B

 

Current Events Costumed
Bash 3rd September – Steward????

 

Bash 1st October – Wynflaed:

 

Royal Visit 14th/15 October (Stormhold stewarding on 15th)

Still seeking a Steward and a venue.

 

Bash 5th November (Guy Fawkes day 5th November 1605) – Rodrigo

 

Event Planning

Stormhold William Marshal (Saturday the 25th Nov 2017)Magnus
Confirmation of Site?

 

Chess Challenge 2018 – Baroness?

 

(Bordescros Feb 23rd Border War)


Easter event: 30th March to 3rd of April – KG rep (Leif)?

 

(Rowany Festival 2018: Wednesday 18th April – Sunday 22nd April)

 

Straits war KG, SH and YF to coordinate.


Stormhold 30th Anniversary 2018

 
8

General Business

 
9

Other Business:

 
10

Next Meeting

Possibly 25th August 2017 Rodrigo will be absent

 
11

Meeting Closed

Time:

 

Attachments:

Correspondence

Email sent 25th july
Hi Hanbal

Thanks again for you effort to aid and enlarge the fighting arts in the region.

I really liked your survey and the discussion of the results at the meeting last night.

Would you be able to make some recommendations to Stormhold Council based on these survey results to be tabled at the August Officers meeting please?

YIS Rodrigo

Seneschal Stormhold

Email 25th July

To Gilbert de Walchope

From Rodrigo
Stormhold Seneschal

A discussion of Stormhold Assets came up at the July Council meeting
Could you please let us know the status of the Rapiers which we believe are currently in your possession at the Salle in your role as former Rapier Marshal for Stormhold.

Could you advise me on the following points?

The actual inventory of Stormhold property in your care?

Assuming there are some rapiers and/or other weapons:
Are the weapons being used at the salle by other parties?

Are the weapons securely locked up according to current Victorian laws?

Could you advise on the assets availability to the Stormhold Rapier community? i.e. can rapier combatants come and get them to use at times e.g.bash etc.?

Cheers

Yours in service

Rodrigo

Seneschal  Stormhold

From Gilbert 27 July

Greetings,

I have two rapiers, 3 or 4 masks, some gorgets, hoods, gloves and jackets in my care. The rapiers see regular use by me and other people when I am present.

The rapiers are locked up in a metal cupboard.

The rapiers are available to the Stormhold Rapier community to take to bash or Krae Glas rapier training – though I would prefer to pass them and the rest of the kit on to the new group marshal whoever they may be.

YiS

Gilbert

Email 25th July

Hi Hrothgar and Celsa and Megan.

Please pass this email on to other appropriate parties.  I don’t quickly have Daniel or Waldemar’s email.

At the July Council meeting recently held, we had a discussion about the College of St Cecelia starting fighting practice at La Trobe Uni. The College’s Seneschal “Hugh Fortesmains” mentioned that he was going to apply to the Uni for a grant to buy some helmets to get their loaner kits started.

Discussion then moved to conjecture about the status of the couple of Cairn Fell Helms that i know were once a thing. Are they around?
Are there other bit of armour lying dormant?

Could those Helmets or other armour (shields?) be sent to the College of St Cecelia to help them out?

Can you guys nut out where they are and if they can be sent along?

I guess it might be useful if the question were also asked more generally… i.e. what is the status of the big blue Esky and are there other Cairn Fell Assets that could be better used actively in the Society?

Cheers

Yours in Service
Rodrigo

Seneschal

Stormhold

H

Reports

Captain of Archers

Michael De la Ferrett

Stormhold captain of archers

Quarterly report June July August

During this period there were no accidents or incidents to report

I spent most of June in China and was not present for  either monthly bash or monthly practice , my deputy was present and did not report any incidents.

June bash and practice was well attended 

August bash called off due to foul weather , 

Tournament to select a Stormhold champion has been deferred till September Bash .

Regards Michael

Deputy Seneschal Health and wellbeing

Stormhold Deputy Seneschal (Chirurgeon) Report August 2017

Period: May-June 2017

 

Greetings all,

First aid kits have been checked, minor supplies have been purchased. Receipts will be provided to Baronial council at the next meeting.

Events wise, Stormhold winter ball, June bash, July bash have had no reported injuries. Monday night craft hall and fighter practice has had minor injuries, armour bites and bruises only.

 

There was a single incident at College war which was covered in my event report for that event.

I will be making two more red Chirurgeon sashes in the near future.

 

Keith Lim has requested to be listed as a Chirurgeon at large. I have sighted his level 2 first aid and CPR certificate. Referring this email to the Kingdom Chirurgeon so please let me know if there is anything else we need to do to organise this. He has assisted me at multiple events, no problem endorsing this.

 

I am Chirurgeon in charge of Day of Honour and the upcoming Royal Visit.

Yours in Service

 

Lady Ysabel Norrice

Stormhold Chatelaine

Stormhold Deputy Seneschal – Health and Wellbeing

Chirurgeon at Large

 

 

HERALD

Quarterly Report (August)

Consultations

Consultation is happening.

Awards

Lord Tomas Van Den Hove was awarded a Baronial Commendation ​ Baron ​ Brían

dorcha ua Conaill and Baroness Miriam Bat Shimeon ​ in May 2017

Voice Heraldry

Other Heralds’ Activities

Sincerely,

Wynflæd æt West-Seaxum,

PERSONAL RANK ​ , Goutte d’ Eau

Hospitaller

Stormhold Chatelaine Report August 2017

Period: May-August 2017

Greetings all.

I stepped into this office at the Stormhold Winter ball, held on the 22nd of June, so my report will be a short one.

We have a newly revived College of St Cecilia, which made a fantastic impression in its first college war, hosted by the barony of Krae Glas, and has recently started hosting its weekly meetings.

We have recently also started making the “Hoods of Warmth” again, as gifts to new players from the Barony. Three were given out at winter ball, and one I believe is owed.

I am looking at doing a stocktake of our loaner garb, and will see what we have in the way of supplies to make some more hoods, so we have some on hand!

Looking forward to Day of Honour in KG this weekend, as we are introducing a couple of our St Cecilia kids to their first event!

Yours in Service

Lady Ysabel Norrice

Stormhold Chatelaine

Stormhold Deputy Seneschal – Health and Wellbeing

Chirurgeon at Large

Lists

 

List report for the Barony of Stormhold – August 2017.
I did lists for Stormhold Monthly Bash for June, July
August Bash Tournaments did not happen as there was rain.
I advertised the position of baronial lists as I have been in the office for over 18 months

your servant
Þorfinn Hrolfsson – Stormhold Baronial List Keeper

 

Knight Marshall

 

Stormhold Marshal’s report August

Fighter numbers have remained stable but low compared to much of the year, it does however continue a declining pattern. If possible support should be shown for ways to encourage new members to try

No event apart from weekly trainings, as the ground was deemed unsuitable for any activities

Development on Hugh Fortismaine’s 3D printed tips continue


Webminister

Mahoult

No report

Communications with webpage and social media continue to be satisfactory.

 

Seneschal

 

Activities around the Barony continue with varied interest from the populace. Some events cancelled for various reasons: this is always always a concern. Improvement in inter Baronial communication continue to be improved.

 

 

Draft charters

See attached

Proposed Joint Baronial Event Agreement

Version: 0.4

Written: 23rd August 2017

  1. 1 Background

Victoria is unusual in Lochac in that there are two baronies, Stormhold and Krae Glas, both located within the same city. Traditionally the Baronies of Stormhold and Krae Glas operate independently of each other, although it is common for members of each Barony to attend the other Barony’s events, and sometimes for members to assist on another Barony’s event team or council.

There are times when it may be sensible for the two groups to agree to work together, for example,’public demos, large camping events or Kingdom events. However, there are currently no established channels by which Stormhold and Krae Glas can coordinate activities, and there is no process by which the two groups can run joint events.

The specific trigger for this document being created was changes to the dates of Rowany Festival for 2018, the scheduled dates for which did not fall within the Victorian Easter school holidays. This situation prompted calls for a return of Suth Moot, an event run for 8 years by Krae Glas over the Easter period. It was thought that it might serve the interests of the region to include Stormhold in this process, however no infrastructure was in place to run a joint Baronial event.

Documenting a joint Baronial agreement for how such events might take place was deemed to be necessary for the sake of clarity and transparency for the populace of both baronies. An informal meeting was held between the current Victorian Baronies, represented by their Barons and Baronesses, Seneschals and Reeves, to draft this document, and sent to the populace for discussion.

  1. 2 Purpose

The purpose of this document is to:

  • Identify common needs between current Victorian Baronies and identify on what occasions these needs might benefit from joint cooperation

  • Establish guidance and procedures for running a joint event that meets both the bureaucratic and community needs of the Baronies

  • Provide instructions on how to review and update this document

3 Procedure

  1. 3.1 The Victorian Baronial executive

The Victorian Baronial Executive is comprised of the Seneschal, Reeve, and Baron and Baroness of Stormhold and Krae Glas. The function of the executive is to streamline or expedite communication between both groups about running events and joint events. It does not replace or change the role of each Barony’s council and has no authority to directly enact change. It is worth noting that other regions in Lochac (i.e. River Haven and St Florian de la Riviere) hold similar meetings like this.

  1. 3.2 Triggering the agreement

This agreement can be used to propose and run joint events between the Baronies.  Potential joint baronial event ideas or concepts may be flagged at any time by any member of the populace. The Victorian Baronial executive shall determine whether this Agreement should be triggered.

  1. 3.2 Opening event bids

Once triggered, the Executive shall meet and call for bids to Steward the joint event. The Executive shall determine a suitable closing date for bids. Once bidding has closed, all bids must be made accessible on relevant websites and other media for at least one week.The Executive shall hold an extraordinary open council meeting to determine the successful bid.

Commentary on any bid can be sent to the Executive via their local seneschal, which shall be tabled at the meeting. Successful bids will be announced and a stewarding team commissioned to run the next joint event.

  1. 4.4 Bidding

Minimum requirements for event proposals are:

  • Event name

  • Proposed date(s)

  • Stewarding team: At a minimum this should include your event steward. Ideally all major activities should have a coordinator listed;

e.g. rapier activities should have a rapier marshal in charge, if food is being served, there should be a feast steward. If a role on the stewarding team is not filled, this is acceptable in the proposal but should be listed as TBA or similar.

  • Proposed venue: Check that your preferred venue is available and obtain cost estimates for venue hire. Some venues book out months in advance.

  • Proposed budget: Contact your local reeve if you need assistance with your budget.

  • Proposed activities: e.g. demo, tournament, feast, camping event, dancing.

  • A proposed event timetable

An ideal event bid should also include

  • The stewarding team: members,  experience, proposed roles,

  • The proposed site: site management and site pro’s and con’s, such as,

    • Appealing features, or special facilities at the site

    • Aspects of the site that promote a medieval atmosphere

    • Proximity to local services such as shops, public transport and emergency services

    • General access and disability access,

    • Known limitations: site rules such as no candles, no campfires, no equestrian, no pegs in the ground, problematic wildlife etc.

    • Intrusive modern infrastructure: visible domestic residences, nearby noisy roads, distracting modern architecture etc.

    • Exclusive use by the SCA for the duration of the booking

    • Management of toilets at the site

    • Management of all vehicles, including service vehicles during the event

  • Activities: Details about the proposed activities

  • Details about proposed environmental management including disposal of recycling, rubbish, used bottles, fire ashes, hard rubbish, kitchen waste, all grey water, and, unused firewood etc.

  • Which group will be sponsoring the event (e.g. approve the event, float the event, report on the event)

4.5 Finances

The event shall operate largely as any other event would: all income, expenses, cash advances, floats and bonds will all go through the sponsoring branch’s account and will not be divided between branches.

Once all income, operating expenses and liabilities to Kingdom connected to the event have been finalised, the net profit or loss generated by the event will be split as evenly as possible between the branches.  The value of the profit or loss shall be taken from the accounting software’s (i.e. Xero) Profit and Loss Report once all items have been reconciled. The sharing shall be accomplished by transfer of funds between branch accounts, and could be in either direction depending on whether the event has a profit or loss.  The transfers shall be reconciled as “Intra branch Transfers”, and should take place in the quarter in which the event is finalised.

Assets purchased for the event are not to be included in the event budget and must instead be approved and purchased by a specific branch, who shall retain ownership of the asset after the event.

Since the profit and loss potential is shared by all branches, the Reeve of each branch must approve the event budget.

Mindful of the difficulty of securing venues, deposit funding for venues can be sought from either Barony prior to an event bid being being formally submitted or approved.

If a Barony funds a non-refundable venue deposit but the event does not occur at that venue, then that Barony shall bear the cost of the deposit and it shall not be factored in to the final event budget.

  1. 4.6 Reporting

The event steward shall ensure that an event report is completed on time and submitted to both Baronies.

  1. 5 Reviewing the agreement

This agreement shall be reviewed at the first Baronial Council Meeting held by the sponsoring group after the event has concluded. The purpose of this review process is to ensure that this agreement is meeting the needs of both baronies and is not placing an unacceptable burden on event stewards or group officers.

Any deviations from the agreement that occurred in the running of the event must be included in the agenda. All interested parties are welcome to attend this meeting and input into the review. Anyone that is unable to attend is welcome to provide submissions in writing. Changes to the charter shall be forwarded to each Baronial Seneschal for tabling at their respective council meetings. Each council shall endorse or repudiate the changes.to the agreement. If there is no consensus between Baronial councils, an extraordinary open council meeting shall be held to determine the outcome, whose attendance must include the Executive.

Proposed Victorian Easter Event Charter

Version: 0.4

Written: 23rd August 2017

  1. 1 Background

The Easter holidays have traditionally presented an ideal time to run an extended SCA camping event. Typically Rowany Festival, the largest event in the Kingdom of Lochac, is held during this time.

Krae Glas has also held an SCA event, Suth Moot, during the Victorian Easter school holidays. Suth Moot was held eight times up to 2012. It was well received by both the Krae Glas community and visiting participants due to its accessibility and family-friendly environment. The event was retired in response to Rowany Festival moving to a more accessible location (near Mittagong, NSW) for travellers from Krae Glas, with greater accessibility for families and those with disabilities, through the provision of bunk houses and catering.

Due to challenges placed on the Rowany Festival stewarding team, the scheduled dates for the 2018 Rowany Festival do not fall within the Victorian Easter school holidays. This situation prompted calls for a return of Suth Moot in 2018.

Discussion within the Barony of Krae Glas, and commentary from other SCA groups, notably the sister Barony of Stormhold, indicated that there were differences in opinion about what the event represented for local members. A charter was therefore initiated in response to this commentary, to clarify the intention and audience of the event, and under what circumstances the event would run.

This charter was initiated during an informal meeting between the current Victorian Baronies, represented by their Barons and Baronesses, Seneschals and Reeves.

  1. 2 Purpose

The purpose of this charter is to clarify the intention and purpose of a Victorian Easter event, and under what circumstances it should be held.

  1. 3 Procedure

  1. 3.1 Governance

This charter is written under the provisions of the Joint Event Baronial Agreement.

  1. 4 Running the event

The event is a gathering held over the Victorian Easter school holidays, organised by the Victorian members of the SCA. The event shall be held for at least four days including Good Friday to Easter Monday. With this being the largest extended SCA event in the year, the intention of this event is for the event to be as accessible to the Victorian SCA community as possible.

  1. 4.1 Goals

Any potential Stewarding Team must address the following goals;

  1. An informal event (e.g. relaxed atmosphere, very little court, detailed schedule but voluntary participation)

  2. Medieval style clothing to be worn by all attendees during the time the Event is held  (e.g. ensure loaner garb available)

  3. An inclusive environment (family friendly, newcomers, collegians, people with disability, travellers from other groups)

  4. A historically informed environment (attempts made to disguise, replace or avoid using modern equipment and infrastructure. The aim is to instead use more appropriate medieval style techniques and practices to promote an appropriate ingame aesthetic)

4.2 Activities

Every effort should be made to include all activities within the SCA in so far as the site allows and the enthusiasm exists. Examples include:

  • Heavy combat (war, tournament, collegia)

  • Rapier combat

  • Archery

  • Equestrian

  • Arts and Sciences (dance, cooking, collegia, artisan spaces, static displays, prize tournaments)

  • Markets, living history demonstrations

  • Children’s activities (boffer, quests, hunts)

  • etc.

The following activities were held at previous Suth Moots. They have become traditional activities enjoyed by previous attendees, and are strongly encouraged to be included in the schedule. A decision by the steward to exclude these activities should be included in the event proposal, with proposed replacement activities.

  • The Century Challenge: a heavy tournament that shall continue until all combatants are satisfied that they were given the opportunity to complete 100 bouts

  • The Princess Bride Fencing Tournament: a tournament themed around the movie “The Princess Bride”

  • The Brown Egg Hunt: there is a search for delicious brown (chocolate) eggs hidden around site

  • The Chocolate Bunny Archery Shoot: the successful shooting of each chocolate bunny results in it being awarded to the successful hunter.

Other activities beyond these four traditional activities are welcome to be included in the event schedule.

  1. 5 Reviewing the charter

This Charter shall be reviewed at the first Baronial Council Meeting held by the sponsoring group after the event has concluded.  The purpose of this review process is to ensure that this charter is meeting the needs of both baronies and is not placing an unacceptable burden on event stewards or group officers.

Any deviations from the charter that occurred in the running of the event are to be included in the agenda. All interested parties are welcome to attend this meeting and input into the review. Anyone that is unable to attend is welcome to provide submissions in writing. Changes to the charter shall be forwarded to each Baronial Seneschal for tabling at their respective council meetings. Each council shall endorse or repudiate the changes. If there is no consensus between Baronial councils, an extraordinary open council meeting shall be held to determine the outcome, whose attendance must include the Executive.